2007 New England Reports

Course Descriptions
School Yachts
Schedule of Courses
Ocean Training Cruises
ASA Certification
Registration Info
Our Location
Our People
Contact Us

Course Advanced Coastal Cruising; Mystic to Rock Hall
Date August 1-8, 2007
Students: Glenn Dill, Kevin Dill, Michael Garner, John Hoffman, David Keefer
Captain: Joe Kliment

July 31, Tuesday
was waiting in a slip on the west side of Mystic Shipyard
when Capt. Joe & two crew arrived via Amtrak late Tuesday afternoon.

Aug 1, Wednesday
The three remaining crew arrived early today by car. After introductions, the student crew became familiar with the course agenda, navigation, weather and boat systems. We quickly took inventory then provisioned, taking advantage of the vehicle that delivered the last two arriving crew.
The students selected watch partners for the trip, decided on a 3 hour on 6 hour off watch schedule, and chose to follow a route through Long Island Sound and the East River, passing through New York City, rather than going directly into the Atlantic at Montauk Point for a rhumb line to the Delaware Bay. Their chosen course meant their timing depended heavily on calculations and analysis of the tides and currents for advantageous passage through the East River and exiting the mouth of the East River at Hell's Gate, while the outer route would have provided more ocean sailing. The crew worked diligently to prepare HALIMEDA for an early departure.

NE3 Crew.jpg (256375 bytes)

Aug 2, Thursday
An 0600 departure with the Dill brothers at the helm, provided an exciting start for this cruise. John & Mike were navigator and engineer for the day
and served the second watch. Capt Joe and Dave took the third watch and the day was spent motoring with very little sailing due to lack of wind. During the trip through Long Island Sound a large power boat approached HALIMEDA on a collision course, causing us to take evasive action. As it passed, it was apparent that no one was at the helm. At 1900 we arrived at Huntington, Long Island and tied up at the dock grateful to have electricity for the air conditioning on this very warm night. Jerry Nigro, a long time ocean mate for the Maryland School, had graciously offered us his docking facilities and we were happy to accept. A kind "local" provided our crew members a ride to the store for fresh provisions. Later, a pasta & tuna dinner was prepared on the boat.

Aug 3, Friday
departed Huntington at 0730 and we planned our journey to take advantage of a following current through New York City. Clear weather and good visibility provided very pleasant motoring.  We entered the Hudson River and passed under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge with a
freshening wind on the nose.  At 1800 we were sailing off of Sandy Hook NJ with 10 - 12 foot swells and unfavorable winds forcing us in an easterly direction. As we began to motor sail south along the NJ coast, we were met by rain and thunderstorms which persisted through the night.

Aug 4, Saturday
After a difficult night, we enjoyed some beautiful sailing with SW winds, progressing southward along the NJ coast. At 0900 we were 60 miles north of Cape May NJ. The crew decided to continue to travel through another night to gain more experience sailing at night in the ocean and to allow additional time to sail on the Chesapeake Bay at the end of the trip.

Aug 5, Sunday
Arriving at the mouth of the Delaware Bay at 0500, HALIMEDA proceeded up the bay with NE winds providing great sailing until the winds diminished and we were forced to motor. By noon, we were passing the Salem NJ Nuclear Power Plant, and heading toward the C & D Canal.  In the Delaware River we noted a small power boat with engine problems adrift in the main shipping channel with a barge and a container ship approaching. We went to their aid and towed the frightened boaters out of the channel. Shortly thereafter, they were able to start their motor and proceed safely.

We arrived at Summit North Marina at 1500, with Mike docking nicely. After a refreshing swim on a very hot day, the crew dined at Christopher's Dockside Cafe.  Fresh provisions were requested and delivered, and the crew was again thankful for shore power to allow use of the air conditioning to escape the heat.

Aug 6, Monday
departed the slip early in patchy fog and drizzle, exiting the C & D Canal at 0945.  Navigational drills were practiced as we motored down the Elk River.  Continuing down the Chesapeake Bay, we motored until reaching the Patapsco River before we finally had sufficient wind for good sailing. We arrived at the Magothy River at 5 PM for a pleasant night at anchor at Dobbins Island. Some crew took a swim in the river, then Mike fixed a meatball and pasta dinner with salad and hot bread.

Aug 7, Tuesday
crew weighed anchor and we departed at 0730, arriving in Annapolis at 1030.  We practiced a standing turn in Ego Alley and Glenn brought us to the dock with ease.  After we tied up, the crew took shore leave to enjoy the town. In the afternoon the students reviewed the course material then took their ASA 106 test, once again thankful for the air conditioning on a hot day.  All passed their tests nicely and we celebrated with dinner at Pusser's.

Aug 8, Wednesday
After a Starbuck's breakfast, HALIMEDA’s crew departed Annapolis
at 0715 with Mike at the helm. We did some touch and go mooring
practice before passing under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at 0830, and headed back to our home port in Rock Hall. With some good sailing en route, making excellent time, we arrived in Lankford Bay, pumped out, and we were tied up in the slip at 1:15 PM. The crew cleaned the boat, packed out and received their certificates before heading home. This was a great crew and a very pleasant educational journey, safely covering 375 miles in seven travel days, and we would all do it again in a heartbeat! 

Capt Joe Kliment
Rock Hall, MD
Aug 9, 2007

to Ocean Reports

Return to Home

© Copyright The Maryland School of Sailing & Seamanship, Inc., All rights reserved.
Web site design by F. Hayden Designs, Inc.